Vege gnocchi with mushroom ragout
(at time of publication)
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups finely chopped mushrooms
- ¼ cup red lentils
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup red wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 cup cooked and cooled mashed vegetables and potatoes
- ½ cup flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups spinach or rocketarugulaX leaves
- fresh thyme, to garnish
- ¼ cup grated parmesan, to serve
1 In a large saucepan, heat half of the olive oil over medium. Add onions and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until mushrooms are browned and softened. Add lentils, tomatoes, stock, wine, if using, and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, until liquid has reduced.
2 Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. In a large bowl, combine mashed vegetables, flour, egg and salt, making a dough.
3 Place dough on a floured board and divide in two. Roll into long sausages. Cut each sausage into bite-sized pieces, sprinkling gently with flour if they’re too sticky.
4 Add gnocchi pieces to boiling water. Cook until they float to the surface, then cook a further minute. Remove with strainer or slotted spoon.
5 Just before serving, add spinach or rocket to sauce, to wilt. Serve gnocchi with sauce, sprinkled with fresh thyme and parmesan.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and check stock is gluten free.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 23g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 15g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.