Vegan stew with dumplings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400g mushrooms, sliced
- 300g vegan steak strips (we used Quorn) or chicken-style vegan pieces
- 1 bunch broccolini, chopped into 5cm lengths
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 5 tablespoons reduced-salt vegan gravy granules mixed with 2 cups boiling water
- fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- For the dumplings
- 1¼ cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- ¼ cup reduced-fat spread (check it's dairy-free)
- ½ cup skim milk
1 Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 min or until golden. Add the Quorn or vegan meat alternative and cook for 3–4 min. Stir in the broccoli, mustard and gravy, then bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally.
2 Meanwhile, make the dumplings. Put the flour and dried herbs in a bowl. Rub the spread into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the milk to form a firm but sticky dough, then turn the dough out on to a floured worksurface. Roll the dough into 8 even dumplings, then put on top of the stew.
3 Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and simmer over a low heat, allowing the dumplings to steam, for 12–15 min. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
Serve the stew with your favourite steamed veg on the side.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9.6g
–Saturated fat 2.4g
Dietary fibre 13.5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information