Tuscan meatballs and spaghetti
- 500g lean pork mince
- 3 rashers (50g) eye bacon, fat trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, grated
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 4 slices wholemeal bread
- ¼ cup trim milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400ml tomato passata
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300g dried wholemeal spaghetti
- ½ cup shaved parmesan, to serve
- handful fresh parsley, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220ºC. In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients.
- In a food processor, blitz the bread and milk, then add to the pork mixture, along with eggs and cottage cheese. Combine well.
- With wet hands, form the mix into 50g balls, you should get about 24. In a large, ovenproof dish, place the meatballs in a single layer then bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add pepper, passata and tomatoes and continue to cook while meatballs are browning.
- Remove meatballs from oven and turn heat down to 200ºC. Pour sauce over meatballs, return dish to oven and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and cook spaghetti according to packet instructions. Drain and divide among 6 pasta plates. Serve topped with meatballs, parmesan and parsley.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and pasta and check bacon and passata are gluten free
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us