Tomato, parmesan and courgette quicheReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 2 sheets ready-rolled reduced-fat puff pastry
- 2 medium courgetteszucchini, summer squashX
- 5 eggs
- ¾ cup trim milk
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 50g ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, to garnish
- small basil leaves, to garnish
- 6 cups green salad leaves, or iceberg leaves, to serve
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 Place a baking tray in the oven and preheat to 200°C.
2 Line a 23cm x 3.5cm round pan with pastry. Trim to fit. Prick base with a fork. Cover base with a sheet of baking paper and half fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake on hot tray for 10 minutes.
3 Remove beans or weights and paper. Bake pastry for a further 10 minutes.
4 Meanwhile, slice courgette into long, thin strips using a vegetable peeler. Whisk eggs, milk, garlic, pepper and parmesan in a medium jug or bowl.
5 Slowly pour egg mixture into pastry base. Working quickly, take three or four strips of courgette and stand on their side in the egg mix in a wavy pattern. Repeat until all courgette is used.
6 Reduce oven to 180°C. Bake quiche for 25 minutes. Arrange tomatoes and ricotta over egg filling. Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until filling is set. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes.
7 Garnish quiche with lemon zest and basil leaves. Slice into quarters and serve with salad leaves drizzled with balsamic.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free puff pastry.
Why our quiche is better
|2920kJ (697cal)||1610kJ (384cal)||45% less|
|54g fat||16g fat||70% less|
|31g sat fat||7g sat fat||77% less|
|650mg sodium||360mg sodium||45% less|
- We slashed the saturated fat by 77%, by using milk rather than cream, and less of it. We also used reduced-fat pastry.
- Our vege quiche has 45% less sodium and almost half the kilojoules!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information