Tomato, parmesan and courgette quiche
(at time of publication)
- 2 sheets ready-rolled reduced-fat puff pastry
- 2 medium courgetteszucchini, summer squashX
- 5 eggs
- ¾ cup trim milk
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 50g ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, to garnish
- small basil leaves, to garnish
- 6 cups green salad leaves, or iceberg leaves, to serve
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 Place a baking tray in the oven and preheat to 200°C.
2 Line a 23cm x 3.5cm round pan with pastry. Trim to fit. Prick base with a fork. Cover base with a sheet of baking paper and half fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake on hot tray for 10 minutes.
3 Remove beans or weights and paper. Bake pastry for a further 10 minutes.
4 Meanwhile, slice courgette into long, thin strips using a vegetable peeler. Whisk eggs, milk, garlic, pepper and parmesan in a medium jug or bowl.
5 Slowly pour egg mixture into pastry base. Working quickly, take three or four strips of courgette and stand on their side in the egg mix in a wavy pattern. Repeat until all courgette is used.
6 Reduce oven to 180°C. Bake quiche for 25 minutes. Arrange tomatoes and ricotta over egg filling. Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until filling is set. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes.
7 Garnish quiche with lemon zest and basil leaves. Slice into quarters and serve with salad leaves drizzled with balsamic.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 4g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free puff pastry.
Why our quiche is better
|2920kJ (697cal)||1610kJ (384cal)||45% less|
|54g fat||16g fat||70% less|
|31g sat fat||7g sat fat||77% less|
|650mg sodium||360mg sodium||45% less|
- We slashed the saturated fat by 77%, by using milk rather than cream, and less of it. We also used reduced-fat pastry.
- Our vege quiche has 45% less sodium and almost half the kilojoules!
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us