Thai yellow chicken curry with coconut riceReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry paste
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 700g skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- 3 cloves star anise (optional)
- ¾ cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 cups green beans, trimmed
- 3 large carrots, cut into chunks
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX, plus extra to garnish
- Coconut rice
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice
- ⅔ cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
1 Spray a large, deep non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over medium-high heat. Cook curry paste for a few minutes, until fragrant. Add onions and cook until soft, stirring occasionally.
2 Add chicken to pan and stir to coat with paste. Add lime leaves, spices, coconut milk, stock, sugar and sauces with 1/2 cup of water. Bring to the boil, then simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
3 Meanwhile prepare the rice. Place all rice ingredients in a large saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15—20 minutes, or until rice is cooked. Remove from heat. Stand for 5—10 minutes.
4 Add beans and carrots to the curry with the coriander. Cook for a further 5—8 minutes. Serve chicken curry with coconut rice and garnish with extra coriander.
Make it gluten free: Check stock, soy and fish sauces are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information