Thai yellow chicken curry with coconut rice
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry paste
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 700g skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- 3 cloves star anise (optional)
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 cups green beans, trimmed
- 3 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX, plus extra to garnish
- Coconut rice
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
1 Spray a large, deep non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over medium-high heat. Cook curry paste for a few minutes, until fragrant. Add onions and cook until soft, stirring occasionally.
2 Add chicken to pan and stir to coat with paste. Add lime leaves, spices, coconut milk, stock, sugar and sauces with 1/2 cup of water. Bring to the boil, then simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
3 Meanwhile prepare the rice. Place all rice ingredients in a large saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15—20 minutes, or until rice is cooked. Remove from heat. Stand for 5—10 minutes.
4 Add beans and carrots to the curry with the coriander. Cook for a further 5—8 minutes. Serve chicken curry with coconut rice and garnish with extra coriander.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 4g
Make it gluten free: Check stock, soy and fish sauces are gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.