Thai-style hot-and-sour seafoodReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 100g packet vermicelli noodles
- 2 ½ cups boiling water
- 50g red Thai curry paste
- 165ml can light coconut milk
- 3 limes
- 1 iceberg lettuce (use 8 leaves)
- 6 large vine-ripened tomatoes, cut in quarters
- 1 telegraph cucumber, cut in thick slices
- 1 bunch (80 g) coriandercilantroX, roughly chopped
- 600g marinara mix, thawed, or mixed frozen seafood such as squid, prawns, half shell mussels, thawed
1 Pull vermicelli a little apart and place in a heat-resistant bowl. Pour over 2 cups boiling water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain.
2 To make dressing, heat a small frying pan or saucepan over a low heat. Add paste and stir over heat for 1 minute. Add coconut milk and Ω cup boiling water. Stir and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat. Add juice of 1 lime and set aside.
3 Carefully remove full lettuce leaves, soak in water and drain well. Place 1 lettuce cup on each dinner plate. Share a little more lettuce between plates, lining each salad leaf. Layer cucumber and tomato around lettuce and sprinkle over a little coriander, reserving some for the top.
4 Heat a barbecue plate to a medium heat. Spray with oil. Spread seafood over grill plate and cook for 1 minute or so. Toss seafood and brown for 1 more minute. Transfer seafood to a deep serving bowl.
5 Tip vermicelli onto paper towel or clean tea towel to dry vermicelli and absorb excess water. Add to seafood bowl. Drizzle in half the dressing and toss through. Divide seafood among 4 plates. Drizzle over the remaining dressing, sprinkle with chopped coriander and add 1/2 lime to each plate to serve.
- Adjust coconut dressing to your taste. Add extra chilli, a little fish sauce and lime juice. A little sprinkle of sugar gives an authentic taste.
- Fresh kaffir lime leaves would work well in the dressing: slice finely and cook with the curry paste in step 1.
- Make it gluten free: Check curry paste and marinara mix are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information