Thai pork with pickled carrots
(at time of publication)
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey
- 2 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- 2 carrots, scrubbed, thinly sliced
- 250g pork fillet
- olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 sticks lemongrass, chopped (see tip box, below, on how to prepare)
- 2 cups boiled rice, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. To pickle carrots, mix vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey, half the chilli, half the garlic and salt together. Add carrots. Toss and leave to marinate.
2 Spray pork with a little oil. Heat a non-stick frying pan and use to sear (brown) pork on both sides.
3 Mix the remaining honey, chilli and garlic together with fish sauce and lemongrass. Rub over pork. Place in an ovenproof dish and cook for 15 minutes. Spoon over any cooking juices.
4 Cover and rest for 5 minutes. Slice pork in thin slices. Serve with pickled carrots and boiled rice.
Garnish with cucumber ribbons (see tips) and chopped fresh mint.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free fish sauce.
- When choosing fish sauce aim for less than around 6000mg sodium per 100ml. We used Select Fish Sauce with 4190mg per 100ml. There are variants with over 10,000mg per 100ml and using one of these would dramatically increase the sodium in the recipes.
- To use lemongrass, first remove the tough outer layer by flattening the stalk with the flat side of a large knife, then finely slice the remaining stalk.
- To make cucumber ribbons, pull a vegetable peeler down the length of a cucumber. Chill ribbons in iced water for 20 minutes to allow to curl.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us