Thai chicken pot
- oil spray
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 500g lean skinless chicken breast, cut in chunks
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass paste (we used Gourmet Garden)
- 1 medium-sized kumarasweet-potatoX (about 200g), peeled, cut in chunks
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green or red capsicum, sliced
- 400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained, rinsed
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 165ml can light coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups salt-reduced liquid chicken stock
- 1–2 kaffir lime leaves, sliced (optional, see tip)
- 2 tablespoons cornflourcornstarchX
- 300g rice noodles
1 Turn slow cooker on to low. Heat a non-stick pan with oil spray and cook onion until softened. Add chicken with a little extra oil spray and cook until evenly browned. Add lemongrass paste to pan and toss to coat chicken.
2 Add chicken to slow cooker with all the remaining ingredients except cornflour and noodles. Add 1 1/2 cups water. Cook on low for 6 hours.
3 Mix a little of the liquid with cornflour to form a paste then stir paste into slow cooker mixture. Stir until sauce thickens slightly. Season to taste.
4 Cook noodles in boiling water then serve with chicken on top. Garnish with fresh coriander if preferred.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 7g
Make it gluten free: Check lemongrass paste, stock and cornflour are gluten free.
Kaffir lime leaves (sold in the fresh herb aisle) give this dish a real Thai zing.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us