Thai beef salad
- 2 teaspoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 400g scotch fillet steaks, fat trimmed
- 150g thin rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons castor sugar
- oil spray
- 1 large cucumber (about 400g), thinly sliced diagonally
- 3 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup fresh coriandercilantroX, rinsed
- 1 cup fresh mint, rinsed, torn
- 1 cup fresh basil, rinsed, torn
- 1 tablespoon chopped unsalted peanuts, (toasted)
- 1 finely chopped chilli, to serve (optional)
1 Combine soy and sesame oil. Place steaks in a shallow dish and pour soy mixture over steaks. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge to marinate for an hour (if pressed for time, marinate while you prepare the salad).
2 Prepare rice noodles following packet directions. Drain and rinse under cold water until cooled.
3 To make dressing, combine fish sauce, lime juice and sugar in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve sugar. Set aside.
4 Spray a frying pan with oil. Place over a high heat and cook steaks for 3-4 minutes each side or until medium rare. Remove from pan and cover with tinfoil. Rest for 5 minutes then thinly slice.
5 Assemble salad by combining cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, coriander, mint and basil. Add noodles and stir through. Toss through dressing then divide salad among plates, top with beef slices, peanuts, chopped chilli (if using) and extra herbs (if preferred) to serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 4g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce and check fish sauce is gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us