Tex-Mex chicken-stuffed kumara skins
(at time of publication)
- 4 x 200g kumarasweet-potatoX, scrubbed, dried, halved lengthways
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 200g chicken breast fillets, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup sweet corn sweetcornXkernels
- 400g can no-added-salt kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- ¹/³ cup grated tasty cheese
- ¹/³ cup fresh coriandercilantroX
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, diced , optional
- ¼ cup light sour cream, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place the kumara, cut-side up, on tray and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until tender.
2 Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over a medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until browned. Add paprika and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, corn and beans. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
3 Remove kumara from oven and set aside to cool slightly. Scoop and roughly chop kumara flesh and add to bean mixture. Set aside.
4 Place kumara skins on baking tray. Spray with olive oil. Roast for 12-15 minutes, or until just crisp. Spoon chicken and bean mixture into skins. Sprinkle with cheese.
Make it gluten free: Check paprika and sour cream are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Omit chicken and use vegan cheese and sour cream.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 22g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us