Taro toss with miso honey chilli sauce and lime-glazed chicken
(at time of publication)
- 200g taro, peeled, spiralised or cut in thin strips (see tips), or use kumarasweet-potatoX
- oil spray
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned or spiralised
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, julienned or spiralised
- ½ cup shelled frozen edamame beans
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 250g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced in thirds
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- Fill a pot with water and bring to the boil. Add taro. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until taro is almost cooked through. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Spray a large pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add spring onions and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Add carrot, capsicum and courgettes and stir-fry for another 2 minutes. Add taro to pan and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients with ¼ cup of water and mix well. Add sauce to pan and stir through vegetables. Add edamame beans. Cook for 2-3 minutes until taro is cooked through. Set aside.
- In another pan, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add chicken and cook, turning, until cooked through and golden (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and squeeze over lime juice. Toss. Sprinkle with lime zest.
- To serve, divide veges and chicken between 2 plates.
Make it gluten free: Check miso and soy sauce are gluten free.
If using taro, wear gloves and cook thoroughly, to avoid hand, skin, mouth and throat itching caused by a substance in raw taro called calcium oxalate (see In season January for more information).
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $86. Just grab your shopping list and get dinner done!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us