Swedish meatballs with vege mash and slaw
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 500g lean beef mince
- ½ cup panko crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon each ground allspice, nutmeg and cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cups peeled and roughly chopped pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat spread
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup salt-reduced beef stock (plus ½ cup water)
- ¾ cup lite sour cream
- ½ cup trim milk
- 450g prepared coleslaw
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted, to garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add mince, breadcrumbs, egg, spices and salt and combine well. Roll into tablespoon-sized balls, you should get about 24 balls.
- Add remaining oil to the frying pan and cook meatballs in two batches until browned and cooked through (about 8-10 minutes per batch). Transfer to a plate while you cook the rest of the meatballs.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, place carrot, parsnip and pumpkin and cover with water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer until tender. Drain, cover and set aside.
- To make the gravy, in the frying pan, melt spread until bubbling. Whisk in flour until lightly browned. Gradually whisk in beef stock and water and cook until thickened, stirring constantly (about 3-4 minutes). Remove pan from heat and stir sour cream into the gravy.
- Mash vegetables with milk (and a little extra nutmeg if desired) until smooth. Season to taste.
- Dress coleslaw with lemon juice and toss.
- Spoon gravy over meatballs and serve with mash and coleslaw. Garnish with almonds and parsley.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 21g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 10g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs and flour. Check spices, stock and sour cream are gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us