Summer vege curryReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- ½ cup brown rice
- oil spray
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 eggplantaubergineX, cut in small chunks
- 1 carrot, angle sliced
- 3 tablespoons tandoori paste
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 70g taro, peeled and cut in small chunks (see tips), or use kumarasweet-potatoX
- 1 chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- ⅔ cup low-fat plain yoghurt, plus 2 tablespoons extra, to garnish
- In a saucepan, cover rice with 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes, until tender and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add spring onions, ginger, garlic and curry leaves, if using. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove curry leaves.
- Add eggplant and carrot, stirring to combine. Cook for 5 minutes. Add tandoori paste and tomatoes and stir. Add taro and 1 cup of water and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, adding more water if needed, until taro is cooked through and soft. Stir through chilli and kaffir lime leaves, reserving a bit of each to garnish. Remove curry from heat and stir through yoghurt.
- Serve curry with rice, garnished with extra yoghurt and remaining kaffir lime leaves and chilli.
Make it vegan: Use a vegan yoghurt and check tandoori paste is vegan.
If using taro, wear gloves and cook thoroughly, to avoid hand, skin, mouth and throat itching caused by a substance in raw taro called calcium oxalate (see our feature In season January for more information).
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $86. Just grab your shopping list and get dinner done!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information