Summer salad with goat’s cheese croutons
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 10 slices baguette or 3 slices grainy or sourdough bread
- oil spray
- 60g chèvre (goat’s cheese)
- 2 tablespoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups frisée (curly endive) or other lettuce leaves
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 1 telegraph cucumber, peeled in ribbons, seeds discarded
- 1 medium raw beetrootbeetsX, julienned
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- black pepper
- fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish
Total fat 25g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 8g
- Preheat oven to 200°C. If using large slices of bread, cut each into 4. Spray with oil and place in a baking dish. Bake for 5 minutes, until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and spread with cheese. Return to oven and bake for a further 5 minutes, until cheese is warm and slightly golden on top.
- In a large bowl, combine vinegar and olive oil. Add frisée, celery and cucumber, stirring to coat leaves.
- Add beetroot to salad and gently combine. Avoid overmixing.
- To serve, divide salad between 2 plates, sprinkled with walnuts, cranberries and black pepper. Top warm toast croutons with thyme sprigs and sprinkle over salad.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread.
Make it low FODMAP: Use wheat or spelt sourdough, canned beetroot instead of fresh, and reduce celery to half a stalk.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $85. Just grab your shopping list and get dinner done!
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us