Summer fruit tart with spelt and chia pastry
- 2 cups low-fat Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 100g reduced-fat spread
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon black chia seeds
- oil spray
- 1 firm, ripe mango, thinly sliced
- 3 firm, ripe plums, thinly sliced
- 1 firm, ripe white peach, thinly sliced
- In a bowl, combine yoghurt, honey (if using) and vanilla extract. Line a sieve with muslin, or a clean chux, and set over a clean bowl. Spoon yoghurt mixture into the muslin, then draw up the edges to make a tight bundle and secure with kitchen string. Refrigerate overnight until firm. Discard liquid in the bowl.
- In a food processor, process flour, spread and castor sugar until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add chia seeds and 2 tablespoons chilled water. Process until dough just comes together, adding more chilled water if necessary. Turn pastry on to a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Shape pastry into a disc. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Spray a 2cm-deep 12.5cm x 35cm loose-based rectangular tart tin with oil. Roll out pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Line tin with pastry. Trim off the excess with a sharp knife. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Place tart tin on a baking tray. Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice and bake for 15 minutes, or until edges are light golden. Remove weights and paper. Bake for a further 10 minutes, or until the base is golden. Set the pastry case aside to cool completely.
- Spread yoghurt mixture over base of the pastry case. Arrange fruit slices on top. Serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 3g
Make it vegan: Use a vegan yoghurt and spread and substitute maple syrup for honey, if using.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us