Split pea soup
Time to make: 6 hrs 20 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery stalks
- 1 leek, light green and white parts only, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 cups water
- 200g smoked ham or bacon hock, fat and skin removed
- 2 cups split yellow or green peas, well rinsed and sorted
- To serve
- ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 slices wholegrain toast
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- fresh thyme (optional)
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 13g
- Preheat slow cooker on high.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, leek, bay leaves and thyme and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and cover.
- Turn heat to low and cook for 4 hours (or longer if you are at work).
- Remove bay leaves and ham hock from the soup. Shred meat from bone and set aside.
- Purée soup using a stick blender.
- Add meat back into soup and stir through pepper and parsley.
- To serve, divide among bowls with toast on side. Garnish with peas and fresh thyme (if using).
Make it vegan: Omit ham and check toast is vegan.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us