Split pea kumara chowder
- 1 cup green or yellow split peas
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled. grated
- 250g orange kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, diced
- 400g canned corn sweetcornXkernels, drained, rinsed
- 3 cups fresh watercress
- 3 cups salt-reduced liquid chicken stock
- 2 cups trim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper, to season
- 2 teaspoons Tamari soy sauce, to season
1 Rinse split peas until water runs clear. Drain. Place in a large saucepan with all the vegetables except corn and watercress. Cover with stock and milk. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and leave uncovered to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
2 Stir though corn and return to the boil. Remove from heat. Add pepper and Tamari soy sauce to taste.
3 Ladle into deep soup bowls and add a large handful of roughly chopped watercress just before serving.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 11g
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock.
- Add smoked paprika to the soup at the end when adjusting the seasoning (check gluten-free if appropriate). Or try different milks or adjust the stock to milk ratio.
- Make it vegetarian: Use vegetable stock and a herb bouquet (tie together rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, parsley stalks with string and cook with the vegetables). Remove the herb bouquet at the end.
This recipe freezes well.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.