Spinach, pesto and lemon risotto cake
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 100ml white wine
- 500g (risotto-base) arborio rice
- 1 cup salt-reduced vegetable stock*
- ½ lemon, zest
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto*
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups (130g) baby spinach, chopped
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese*
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it's wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
2 Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion. Gently fry for 5 minutes until soft. Pour in wine and allow to bubble and evaporate. Add rice and stock. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until all liquid has absorbed and rice is sticky. Remove from heat.
3 Stir in lemon zest, pesto and pepper. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
4 Once cool, mix in eggs, spinach and half the parmesan. Spoon mixture into prepared tin. Level with a spatula and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
5 Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and firm to touch. Garnish with fresh basil. Serve in wedges.
Tomato and onion salad
To reduce cooking time, use partly-cooked rice, available in pouches from supermarkets.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us