Spinach and ricotta shells with tomato and breadcrumbs
(at time of publication)
- 300g (3 cups) large pasta shells
- 1 packet (400g) spinach, trimmed
- 400g reduced-fat ricotta
- 1 courgette, grated
- ¼ cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 670g jar (2 ½ cups) tomato passata
- ¼ cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 Cook pasta following packet directions. Drain well.
2 Place spinach in a large heatproof bowl. Just cover with boiling water and set aside for 30 seconds. Drain then squeeze out excess water. In a large bowl, combine chopped spinach, ricotta, courgette, pine nuts and zest. Season with salt and pepper.
3 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Lightly oil a 1.5L/6 cup-capacity ovenproof baking dish. Spread 1 cup passata over base of dish. Spoon ricotta filling into pasta shells and arrange in a single layer in dish. Pour remaining sauce evenly over pasta then sprinkle with breadcrumbs and parmesan. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta and bread, and ensure passata is also gluten-free.
- Make ahead: cook then fill shells and assemble dish ahead of time. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and parmesan over when ready to bake.
- This dish can be cooked ahead and frozen.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us