Spicy squash soup with tortilla vege melts
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 750g squash or pumpkin, chopped roughly
- olive oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, scrubbed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat coconut cream
- 3 cups vegetable stock made with 2 teaspoons stock powder and 3 cups boiling water
- Vege melts
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2 tortillas
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Total fat 13g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 8g
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Place squash on a baking tray and spray with oil. Cook for 15 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, spray a non-stick pan with oil and cook onion and carrots until softened. Add curry and lemongrass pastes. Cook for 5 minutes to allow flavours to infuse.
3 To make melts, place vegetables on 1 tortilla. Sprinkle over cheese and cover with the other tortilla. Set aside.
4 Add squash to pan with coconut cream and stock. Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes. Cool slightly before blending until smooth. Season to taste.
5 For the last 5 minutes of the soup cooking, place tortilla in oven to toast lightly. Cut in wedges. Serve soup with Vege melts.
Add a spoonful of low-fat yoghurt to the soup with some fresh coriander.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of curry paste, stock and tortillas.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us