Spicy curry eggplant
- 2 medium (500g each) eggplantaubergineXs
- ½ cup red lentils
- 250g minced lean lamb or beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX, plus extra, to garnish
- 4 tablespoons sultanasgolden raisinsX
1 Cut each eggplant in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh, leaving a 5mm-thick shell. Take a small slice off the base of each half to ensure it will balance in the dish. Finely chop flesh.
2 Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook lentils in boiling water for 10-12 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
3 Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add mince and cook until browned. Drain any oil. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes, pastes, lentils and chopped eggplant. Heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir in coriander and sultanas.
4 Place eggplant shells in an ovenproof dish. Spoon mince into shells and fill generously. Pour a little hot water around the base of eggplants. Cook in oven for 30 minutes, or until cooked through and shells are softened. Serve sprinkled with fresh coriander.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 9g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free curry paste, tomato paste and canned tomatoes.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us