Spiced barbeque chicken with cucumber pickle salad
(at time of publication)
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (see tips) or sweet chilli sauce
- 4 small bone-in chicken thighs spray oil
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled in ribbons
- 2 small carrots, peeled in ribbons
- 1 cup finely shredded white cabbage
- ½ cup apple ciderhard ciderX vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- fresh chillies and spring onion, chopped, to garnish (optional)
- 1½ cups steamed brown rice
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Thin gochujang, if using, with a little water. Rub over chicken thighs and place on baking tray. Spray thighs and bake for 30 minutes, or until cooked through (see tips).
2 In a large bowl, combine cucumber, carrot and cabbage. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, sugar and soy sauce with ¼ cup water and pour over salad, mixing well to coat vegetables. Set aside.
3 Heat rice. Serve chicken on rice with salad on the side, garnished with chillies and spring onion, if desired. Spiced barbecue chicken with cucumber pickle salad
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
Make it gluten free: Check gochujang, sauces and vinegar are gluten free.
Make it low FODMAP: Choose gochujang or sweet chilli sauce that does not contain onion or garlic. Use only the green tips of the spring onion.
Gochujang is a Korean chilli paste available at Asian supermarkets or in the international aisle.
Alternatively, cook on a barbecue grill with the lid down for 20-30 minutes.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us