Spaghetti and meatballs in pomodoro sauce
(at time of publication)
- 300g wholemeal spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g lean beef mince, rolled into 16-20 small balls
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated or julienned carrot
- 1 cup grated or julienned courgette
- 400g passata
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar, to serve
1 Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add spaghetti and stir to prevent sticking. Cook according to packet directions. Drain and keep warm.
2 Meanwhile, in a frying pan heat oil over medium. Add meatballs and cook for 6-8 minutes, until browned. Remove and set aside.
3 In the same frying pan, place onion, garlic, carrot and courgette and cook 4-5 mins until tender. Add passata, tomatoes and basil and stir to combine. Lower heat and simmer to reduce slightly (about 5 minutes). Add meatballs back to pan and stir to coat.
4 To serve, divide pasta among 4 plates. Top with meatballs and sauce, and sprinkle over cheese and remaining basil.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta and check passata is gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us