Smoky chicken burritos
- 1 tablespoon canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 600g skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (or more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼–½ cup water
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ medium lettuce, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
- chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- ¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 8 reduced-fat flour tortillas
1 Heat oil in a large non-stick pan. While oil heats, quarter and slice onion and crush, peel and chop garlic. Add to pan and cook, stirring frequently, until soft.
2 Slice or dice chicken and add to pan. Stir-fry for 2–3 minutes or until meat has lost its pink colour. Stir in spices and cook for about 1 more minute.
3 Add 1/4 cup water, tomatoes and their juice and sugar. Stir and allow mixture to come to the boil then reduce heat to a fairly gentle simmer and cook for 5-10 more minutes until all chicken pieces are cooked through and the sauce has thickened, adding the additional water if the mixture looks dry. Season with a little salt and pepper.
4 While chicken cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients: arrange them on a platter or in separate bowls so people can assemble their own burritos at the table. Heat tortillas following package instructions to serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us