Smoky chicken burritos
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 600g skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4–1/2 cup water
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 medium lettuce, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
- chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 8 reduced-fat flour tortillas
Total fat 16g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 6g
1 Heat oil in a large non-stick pan. While oil heats, quarter and slice onion and crush, peel and chop garlic. Add to pan and cook, stirring frequently, until soft.
2 Slice or dice chicken and add to pan. Stir-fry for 2–3 minutes or until meat has lost its pink colour. Stir in spices and cook for about 1 more minute.
3 Add 1/4 cup water, tomatoes and their juice and sugar. Stir and allow mixture to come to the boil then reduce heat to a fairly gentle simmer and cook for 5-10 more minutes until all chicken pieces are cooked through and the sauce has thickened, adding the additional water if the mixture looks dry. Season with a little salt and pepper.
4 While chicken cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients: arrange them on a platter or in separate bowls so people can assemble their own burritos at the table. Heat tortillas following package instructions to serve.