Sausage, spinach and white bean casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200g Freedom Farms pork and fennel sausage, cut in 2-3cm slices
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ cup roughly chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery stalks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs or Moroccan seasoning (see tip)
- 1 ¼ cups dried white beans, rinsed
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 6 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups finely chopped baby spinach or silver beet
- To serve
- 3 cups cooked couscous
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves (if using Italian herbs) or chopped fresh coriandercilantroX (if using Moroccan seasoning)
- Preheat slow cooker on high.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and fennel seeds and cook, stirring frequently until lightly browned. Add onion, garlic, tomato paste, carrots, celery, bay leaves and herbs. Cook, stirring, for another 2-3 minutes.
- Place in slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients except spinach.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, stir through spinach. Serve casserole garnished with parsley or coriander, on top of couscous.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 20g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free couscous and check tomato paste and seasoning are gluten free.
The flavour of this dish transforms depending on which seasoning and herbs you choose.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us