Roasted fennel and chicken tray bake
(at time of publication)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 teaspoons zest of lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 1 large fennel bulb, shredded (see tips)
- ½ cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 4 kumarasweet-potatoX (about 200g each)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh cherry tomatoes, halved (or 400g can cherry tomatoes, drained)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups steamed green beans, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Place fennel seeds, zest and garlic in a bowl. Add chicken and coat with mixture. Place shredded fennel in a medium baking dish and drizzle with olive oil; top with chicken thighs and add stock. Bake for 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked and golden and fennel is tender.
2 Meanwhile line a large baking tray with baking paper. Scrub kumara and pat dry with a paper towel; prick all over with a fork. Place them on prepared tray and bake for 40—45 minutes, turning halfway through, or until soft when pierced with a skewer. Slice lengthways to serve.
3 Add cherry tomatoes to the chicken pan for the last 15 minutes of cooking time. Fold through the baby spinach.
4 Serve chicken and fennel with beans and baked kumara.
Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free.
Trim stalks and base from fennel bulb. Use a mandolin to shred bulb into fine slices that will caramelise during cooking.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information