Rigatoni with slow-cooked beef ragu and silver beetReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 500g (about 375g trimmed weight) chuck steak, trimmed, diced in 2cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon plain flourall purpose flourX
- olive spray oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-salt beef stock
- 2 cups silver beet, central vein removed, shredded
- 200g rigatoni or similar
- flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
1 Heat oven to 140°C. Toss steak in flour to coat, shaking off any excess. Spray a large flameproof casserole dish with olive oil and set over a high heat on the stovetop. Add steak in batches and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until browned. Remove beef from dish and set aside.
2 Spray dish with oil again and set over a medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and paprika and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant.
3 Add tomato paste to dish and stir for 1 minute. Add vinegar and simmer for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and stock with 1/2 cup water. Bring to the boil. Return reserved beef to dish, cover and transfer to oven. Cook for 2 1/2 hours, or until meat is extremely tender. Remove dish from oven. Shred meat with a fork and stir silver beet through beef ragu until just wilted.
4 Meanwhile, cook rigatoni in a large saucepan of boiling water according to packet instructions until al dente. Drain and return to pan. Add beef ragu and toss. Divide mixture among 4 bowls, garnish with parsley and serve.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta and flour and check paprika, tomato paste, vinegar and stock are gluten free.
Beef ragu is suitable to freeze.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
Last updated date: 30 August 2018
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information