Rigatoni with slow-cooked beef ragu and silver beet
(at time of publication)
- 500g (about 375g trimmed weight) chuck steak, trimmed, diced in 2cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon plain flourall purpose flourX
- olive oil spray
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-salt beef stock
- 2 cups silver beet, central vein removed, shredded
- 200g rigatoni or similar
- flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
1 Heat oven to 140°C. Toss steak in flour to coat, shaking off any excess. Spray a large flameproof casserole dish with olive oil and set over a high heat on the stovetop. Add steak in batches and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until browned. Remove beef from dish and set aside.
2 Spray dish with oil again and set over a medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and paprika and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant.
3 Add tomato paste to dish and stir for 1 minute. Add vinegar and simmer for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and stock with 1/2 cup water. Bring to the boil. Return reserved beef to dish, cover and transfer to oven. Cook for 2 1/2 hours, or until meat is extremely tender. Remove dish from oven. Shred meat with a fork and stir silver beet through beef ragu until just wilted.
4 Meanwhile, cook rigatoni in a large saucepan of boiling water according to packet instructions until al dente. Drain and return to pan. Add beef ragu and toss. Divide mixture among 4 bowls, garnish with parsley and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta and flour and check paprika, tomato paste, vinegar and stock are gluten free.
Beef ragu is suitable to freeze.
Last updated date: 30 August 2018
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us