Red dhal with turmeric rice
- ¹/³ cup brown rice
- 2cm piece fresh turmeric, peeled, sliced, or ½ teaspoon ground
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ cup dried red lentils
- 1 cup reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes (or more to taste)
- 4 cups spinach or chopped silver beet
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt, to serve (optional)
- fresh coriandercilantroX, to garnish (optional)
1 In a saucepan place rice and cover with water. Add turmeric and salt. Cover and bring to the boil. Then reduce heat to the lowest setting and simmer for 25 minutes, or until rice is tender.
2 Meanwhile, in a large pan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, until softened and starting to go golden. Add carrot, celery, ginger and curry powder and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add lentils and stock. Stir in tomato paste and soy sauce.
3 Lower heat and simmer dhal for 10-15 minutes, until lentils are soft and collapsing. Add chilli flakes and spinach and stir until leaves are wilted.
4 Serve dhal with turmeric rice and top with yoghurt and coriander, if desired.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 13g
Make it gluten free: Check ground turmeric, curry powder, stock, tomato paste and soy sauce are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use a vegan yoghurt.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us