Quinoa bowl with grilled chicken, black beans and avocado
(at time of publication)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ cup (60ml) lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 small (400g total) chicken tenderloins
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed (can be frozen or fresh)
- 400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved or 2 tomatoes, diced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- Combine zest, paprika, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the lime juice and 2 teaspoons olive oil in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Add chicken and turn to coat. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Place quinoa and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 12–15 minutes, or until water is absorbed and quinoa is al dente.
- Meanwhile, steam, boil or microwave green beans for 2–3 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- Heat a large chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate over medium-high heat. Drain chicken of excess marinade and grill for 3-4 minutes each side, or until cooked through.
- Divide quinoa between 4 bowls. Top each with black beans, green beans, tomatoes, avocado and 2 chicken tenderloins.
- Whisk together remaining lime juice, olive oil and maple syrup. Drizzle dressing over each quinoa bowl and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 12g
If you can’t find limes, use lemons instead.
Make it gluten free: Check paprika is gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use tofu instead of chicken, and use maple syrup instead of honey.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us