Peppery chickpea and potato curry
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 whole coriandercilantroX plant (including root), well washed, set aside 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, scrubbed, diced
- 300g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained, rinsed
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- salt, to taste
1 Place peppercorns in a blender or mortar and pestle. Add garlic and coriander plant. Blend or pound to a paste. Add oil and mix well.
2 Transfer paste to a medium-sized non-stick pan and cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in curry powder and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
3 Add potatoes, chickpeas and tomatoes. Stir so potatoes are coated with spice mixture then add coconut milk, water, soy sauce and sugar. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
Step4 Season to taste then garnish with extra coriander and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 6g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce and check curry powder is gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us