Peanut-chicken and noodle salad
(at time of publication)
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts (300g)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 250g fine egg noodles
- 2 large carrots
- 2 cups small whole green beans
- 1 small cucumber
- 1-2 spring onions
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds or 2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons no-added-sugar-or-salt peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 1 small fresh chilli, minced or ½–1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 Pound chicken breasts between plastic until 1cm thick then coat with sesame oil and soy sauce and grill or pan-grill.
2 Place dressing ingredients into a screw-topped jar and shake until well mixed. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. Set aside to stand while preparing the remaining ingredients.
3 Bring a large pot of water to the boil then add noodles. Cook noodles until they are just done (over-done noodles will be soggy and weak) then drain. Toss with a little vegetable oil then set aside to cool.
4 Cut carrot in fine strips or matchsticks then combine with beans in a shallow pan and boil for about 1 minute. Drain. Set aside with noodles. Halve cucumber lengthways. Scoop out and discard seeds. Cut cucumber in fine strips or matchsticks. Slice onion/s and add to other vegetables.
5 Slice warm chicken breasts in 1cm-thick diagonal strips. Toss with about 1 tablespoon dressing.
6 Toss noodles, chicken, vegetables and the remaining dressing together in a large bowl. If possible, leave to stand for about 10-15 minutes then sprinkle with the lime juice and toss again. Garnish with sesame seeds and coriander if you prefer.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy saue and noodles.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us