(at time of publication)
- 1 cup diced unpeeled orange kumarasweet-potatoX
- 1 cup diced peeled pumpkin
- 1 cup sliced unpeeled carrot
- 1 cup diced unpeeled potato
- 375ml can Carnation Light & Creamy coconut flavoured Evaporated Milk
- 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 Place the kumara, pumpkin, carrot and potato in a large pot. Add 3 cups water, cover and cook until boiled. Reduce the heat to the minimum and cook for another 30 minutes.
2 Switch off the stove, remove the lid and wait 15 minutes for the soup to cool down. Blitz it with a hand blender until smooth. Add the coconut-flavoured evaporated milk.
3 Carefully peel the top layer of the orange skin, leaving the white skin on the fruit. Cut the orange in half and hand-squeeze the juice into the pot. Stir. Pour into 4 bowls. Decorate with the chopped parsley and orange zest or slices. Serve with wholegrain bread.
Serve with seed bread or with toasted cheese sandwiches made from sourdough bread.
- For a spicier version, add 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds or 1/2 teaspoon ginger to the pot before boiling.
- A spoonful of reduced-fat yoghurt placed on top of each bowl adds to the appearance as well as the flavour.
- You can use good-quality reduced-salt stock instead of water.
- If you don’t like the taste of coconut, use unflavoured low-fat evaporated milk.
- Boiling a bay leaf in the soup will give it a subtle flavour and aroma. Remember to throw away the leaf after cooking.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information