- 1 cup diced unpeeled orange kumarasweet-potatoX
- 1 cup diced peeled pumpkin
- 1 cup sliced unpeeled carrot
- 1 cup diced unpeeled potato
- 375ml can Carnation Light & Creamy coconut flavoured Evaporated Milk
- 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 Place the kumara, pumpkin, carrot and potato in a large pot. Add 3 cups water, cover and cook until boiled. Reduce the heat to the minimum and cook for another 30 minutes.
2 Switch off the stove, remove the lid and wait 15 minutes for the soup to cool down. Blitz it with a hand blender until smooth. Add the coconut-flavoured evaporated milk.
3 Carefully peel the top layer of the orange skin, leaving the white skin on the fruit. Cut the orange in half and hand-squeeze the juice into the pot. Stir. Pour into 4 bowls. Decorate with the chopped parsley and orange zest or slices. Serve with wholegrain bread.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 4g
Serve with seed bread or with toasted cheese sandwiches made from sourdough bread.
- For a spicier version, add 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds or 1/2 teaspoon ginger to the pot before boiling.
- A spoonful of reduced-fat yoghurt placed on top of each bowl adds to the appearance as well as the flavour.
- You can use good-quality reduced-salt stock instead of water.
- If you don’t like the taste of coconut, use unflavoured low-fat evaporated milk.
- Boiling a bay leaf in the soup will give it a subtle flavour and aroma. Remember to throw away the leaf after cooking.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us