Nutty rice salad
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (takes about 30 minutes)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 apple, chopped
- 200g small mushrooms, sliced
- 310g can corn sweetcornXkernels, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sweet fruit chutney
- 1 tablespoon oil (any mild-tasting oil)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (or to taste)
1 Place pine nuts in a pan, stir over heat until lightly browned, remove from pan and cool.
2 Combine rice, pine nuts and the remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Salad can be made 3 hours ahead.Recipe supplied by Healthy Food Guide reader, Angela Keil
Angela says: "This is a salad I am always asked to do whenever my family has a get-together. I have been making it for the past 17 years. I recommend cooking Sunrise brown rice and using Cerebos sweet fruit chutney. I also use a dark red apple and drizzle the lemon juice on top until I assemble the whole salad. Almonds or cashew nuts can be substituted for pine nuts."
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7.4g
–Saturated fat 1.1g
Dietary fibre 5.7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information