Mushroom and thyme-crusted beef with pear salad
(at time of publication)
- 2 medium kumarasweet-potatoX, cut into thin wedges
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- cracked black pepper
- 4 x 120g lean beef fillet steaks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups finely chopped button mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 cups mixed salad leaves
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons crumbled toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Place kumara on one tray and drizzle with half the oil. Season with cracked black pepper. Bake for 40 minutes, or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook beef for 1 minute each side, or until browned all over. Transfer beef to second tray and set aside.
- Return same pan to medium heat. Gently fry onion for 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, mushrooms and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are browned.
- Press mushroom mixture over beef. Bake for 6–7 minutes, for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Remove, cover loosely with foil and rest for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a salad bowl whisk lemon juice and remaining oil. Add lettuce, pear and walnuts. Toss gently. Serve beef with wedges and pear salad.
This recipe can be used as part of the Kick-start Plan.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information