Moroccan-style homemade baked beans
(at time of publication)
- 250g dried cannellini beans, soaked (see tip)
- 5–6 sage leaves, roughly torn
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, pureed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons—1 tablespoon soft brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 tablespoon ciderhard ciderX vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅓ cup chopped dates
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat couscous
- toasted flaked almonds, to garnish
1 Place soaked beans in a pan with enough cold water to cover beans by 2.5cm. Add sage and garlic. Cover pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until beans are soft but still holding their shape.
2 Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a non-stick pan. Add onion and cook until softened. Add tomatoes, paste, herbs, stock and 1/4 cup water. Cook for 10—15 minutes to make a thick tomato sauce. Set to one side until beans are cooked.
3 Once beans are cooked, drain. Return to pan with tomato sauce. Stir in remaining oil, sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground coriander, cumin and dates. Heat, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes. Stir in fresh coriander.
4 Prepare couscous following packet directions. Serve beans on couscous. Garnish with coriander and almonds.
Make it gluten free: Check tomato paste, stock and ground spices are gluten free. Use quinoa instead of couscous.
Try these delicious flavour variations!
For overnight soaking: Soak beans in cold water for at least 12 hours. Drain well and rinse.
For quick soaking: Place beans in a pan and cover with cold water. Cover, bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and leave to soak in the water for 1 hour. Drain. The beans are now ready to cook.
Once baked, beans will keep for 3-4 days in a sealed container in the fridge.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 17g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us