Mini mushroom burgers
(at time of publication)
- 6 medium flat (portobello) mushrooms
- 200g lean beef mince
- 1 egg
- 50g sachet pizza paste (we used Gregg’s)
- 6 squares of capsicum (made by cutting sides off capsicum lengthwise)
- 6 small lettuce leaves
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 6 slices pickled gherkin
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Remove and reserve stems from mushrooms. On the baking tray, place mushrooms, top side down.
- Chop mushroom stems and, in a bowl, combine them with mince, egg and pizza paste. Fill each mushroom cap with mince mixture and bake for 15 minutes, until mince is brown and cooked through.
- Top each burger with lettuce, a slice of capsicum and gherkin and halved tomato. A toothpick will keep everything from sliding off.
Make it gluten free: Check pizza paste (or other sauces) are gluten free.
Make egg free: You can either use an egg replacer or just leave out
Instead of pizza paste, you can use 1 tablespoon tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon Worcester sauce or 1 teaspoon soy sauce.
Lamb mince works well too.
If you prefer capsicum cooked, put squares on the baking tray and bake at the same time as the mince.
Add a slice of cheese on top of the lettuce to transform them into cheeseburgers.
Add a chunk of canned pineapple to make Hawai’ian burgers.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us