Mexican slow-cooked beef
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 850g bolar beef, fat removed
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 75g sun-dried tomatoes, drained, chopped
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 sachet bouquet garni (mixed herbs) – see tip
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 orange kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, cut in chunks
- 1 cup passata
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup liquid salt-reduced beef stock
1 Turn slow cooker to low. Heat oil in a frying pan and brown beef on all sides.
2 Place beef in slow cooker with remaining ingredients, adding liquids last. Mix well.
3 Cover and cook for 7-8 hours until beef is tender. If possible, turn beef at some stage during cooking.
4 Remove beef from slow cooker and cut in chunks. Return to casserole and stir through.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 10g
Serve beef with fresh coriander, warmed tortillas and low-fat plain yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Check pesto, chilli powder, passata and stock are gluten free.
Bouquet garni sachets are available in the dried herbs section of most supermarkets (or use a selection of fresh herbs — such as thyme, rosemary and parsley — tied together with string).
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us