(at time of publication)
- 200g macaroni (or any short pasta)
- ½ head cauliflower (about 300g), cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread
- 3 tablespoons plain flourall purpose flourX
- 575ml trim milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat mature cheddar
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan
- 6 large tomatoes, sliced
- ¾ cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling water according to packet instructions, adding cauliflower for last 4 minutes; drain.
- Melt spread in a separate large saucepan set over medium heat; beat in flour until a smooth paste forms. Add milk ¼ cup at a time, stirring and heating between additions, until mixture becomes a thick sauce; simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add mustard, cheese, spring onions and half the parmesan to pan; stir in cooked pasta and cauliflower. Transfer mixture to a large baking dish and top with tomato slices.
- Combine breadcrumbs with thyme and remaining parmesan in a bowl; scatter on top of the tomato slices. Transfer dish to oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until surface is bubbling and golden; leave to cool for 5 minutes and serve.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta, flour and breadcrumbs. Check mustard is gluten free.
Why OUR dish is healthier!
- Trim milk replaces full-fat milk, reduced-fat spread replaces butter and we’ve used less cheese to massively slash the saturated fat content
- Cauliflower bulks up the dish with filling fibre so we use less pasta
- The crunchy tomato-crumb topping lifts the number of vegetables
- Mustard and fresh herbs add flavour without needing salt
- This satisfying dish delivers under half the kilojoules and sodium, and more than twice the fibre of some macaroni cheese recipes
- Save: 2500kJ, 56g fat, 37g sat fat, 640mg sodium
- Add: 4g fibre
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us