Lentil and ginger stewReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 x 400g cans lentils, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock (see tip)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- large handful baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
1 Cook rice following packet directions. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan. Add onion and carrots and cook for 10 minutes to soften slightly. Add ginger and lentils. Cook for 1-2 minutes then add stock and coconut milk. Cover and bring to the boil.
2 Remove half the mixture and use a stick blender or food processor to blend. Return blended mixture to pan then stir in spinach. Divide among four bowls and scatter over almonds and coriander. Serve.
Make it gluten free Check the stock is gluten free
- Add crushed garlic to the pan with the ginger
- Replace coconut milk with the same quantity of trim milk and add an extra spoonful of sliced almonds.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 8g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information