Lemon, pea and broccoli pilaf
(at time of publication)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup (220g) basmati rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 ½ cups liquid salt-reduced vegetable stock
- ½ large head broccoli (about 350g), trimmed, cut in florets
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
1 Set a large saucepan (that has a lid) over a medium heat. Add oil and heat. Add onion and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add garlic and lemon zest. Cook, stirring, for 1 more minute.
2 Add rice. Stir to coat. Add wine. Simmer until almost evaporated. Add stock with 1 cup water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid and simmer for 12 minutes. Add broccoli and peas then cover and simmer for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat, cover and leave to steam for 2-3 more minutes.
3 Add parsley to rice, season with black pepper and fluff with a fork. Garnish with almonds and serve.
- To include meat, add 400g of thinly sliced chicken breast with the onion at step 1.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us