Kimchi fried rice
(at time of publication)
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 cups chopped gai lan or other greens
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ cup roughly chopped kimchi
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 2 teaspoons reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh coriandercilantroX leaves, to serve
- Heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a non-stick frypan over a high heat. Add egg and move pan around to make a thin omelette. Remove from pan and, when cool enough to handle, roughly chop. Set aside.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the same pan. Add carrot and spring onions and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add gai lan and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add rice, kimchi and pumpkin seeds to pan. Cook a further 2 minutes, stirring. Add peas and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add egg to fried rice and combine.
- Serve rice garnished with soy sauce, remaining sesame oil and coriander leaves.
Make it vegan: Omit egg or use Orgran Vegan Easy Egg to make a vegan omelette, and check kimchi is vegan.
Kimchi is a fermented cabbage and vegetable mix originating in Korea. It has a hot, sour flavour which adds zing to dishes. Find kimchi in Asian stores, or in many supermarkets. We used the locally produced Living Goodness brand.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $82. Just grab the shopping list and you’re ready!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us