Kimchi buckwheat bowlReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup toasted buckwheat groats
- 1 cup shelled edamame beans
- 2 radishes, very finely sliced
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, sliced into ribbons
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup chilli vegannaise (¼ cup vegan mayonnaise plus ½ teaspoon chilli flakes)
- 1 cup kimchi
- 1 sheet nori, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- handful fresh coriandercilantroX leaves, to serve
- sriracha (optional)
1 Rinse and drain buckwheat well. In a saucepan, cover buckwheat with 4 cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2 Thoroughly rinse and drain cooked buckwheat and divide among 4 bowls. Arrange edamame, radish, bean sprouts, cucumber and avocado over the buckwheat. drizzle with vegannaise and top with kimchi, nori, sesame seeds and coriander.
3 Drizzle with sriracha or shoyu sauce (see right), if desired.
Make it gluten free: Check mayonnaise, sriracha and shoyu are gluten free.
Despite its name, buckwheat is gluten free. Mainly carbohydrate, it is not a grain, it’s actually a seed.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 28g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information