Kale and mushroom stir-fry
- 2-3 teaspoons groundnut oil
- 1 small piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, sliced finely
- 170g (2 ½ cups) brown-cap mushrooms, sliced
- 225g (3 ½ cups) kale, shredded
- 1 cup peas
- ¼ cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
1 Heat oil in a large non-stick pan. Add ginger, chilli and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
2 Add kale and peas. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
3 Add cashews and cook for 2 minutes. Add five-spice and soy sauce to pan. Toss, heat through and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 9g
Make it gluten free: Check Chinese five-spice is gluten free and use gluten-free soy sauce.
Kale cooking tips
- To prepare kale, break leaves from the stalk and trim away the tough centre stalk. Wash then shred or chop.
- Kale is normally boiled or stir-fried. For whole leaves, rinse then put in a pan without shaking off the water. Cover and cook for up to 2 minutes until wilted. Drain thoroughly.
- For chopped or shredded kale, place the leafy green in a pan of water 1cm deep with a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for up to 5 minutes until wilted. Drain thoroughly.
- To freeze kale, wash leaves thoroughly and cut off stems. Plunge kale into boiling water for 2 minutes then quickly douse in ice-cold water. Drain off excess moisture before packing in airtight containers or freezer bags. Freeze immediately.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us