Japanese-style quick pickleReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 2 carrots, julienned (see tips)
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1 banana shallot, or a regular shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5cm piece of ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple, white wine or rice wine vinegar
- ¹/³ cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX or thyme.
1 In a colander, place first 5 ingredients. Toss through salt and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
2 In a medium bowl, combine ginger, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and coriander.
3 Add vegetables, toss and chill for 2-3 hours before serving. Use on day of making.
Make it gluten free: Check soy sauce and vinegar are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use a vegan vinegar.
If you don’t have a julienne peeler, use a vegetable peeler to create ribbons or grate the carrot and cucumber.
Ideal with sushi, cold meats, fish or kebabs.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 0g
–Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 1.5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information