Indian-spiced bubble and squeak with fried eggs
- 400g small new potatoes in their skins, halved
- 500g butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks (about 350g or 2 cups flesh)
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ eggplantaubergineX, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- good pinch dried chilli flakes
- 75g baby spinach
- 4 eggs
1 Steam the potatoes, butternut and carrots for 12–15 min until tender.
2 Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, then fry the onion and eggplant for 5–6 min until softened. Add the garlic, mustard seeds and turmeric and cook for 2–3 min.
3 Add the potatoes, squash, carrots and tomatoes to the pan and fry over a high heat for about 6 min, squashing down the veg a little and stirring occasionally, or until piping hot and a golden crust begins to form underneath. Stir in the garam masala, chilli and baby spinach and cook for 1 min more.
4 Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a separate non-stick frying pan, then fry the eggs to your liking. Divide the bubble and squeak mixture among 4 plates, then top each with a fried egg and a grind of black pepper to serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12.4g
–Saturated fat 2.1g
Dietary fibre 8.4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information