Honey vanilla tamarillos with ginger cream
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 12 tamarillos
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthways
- 3 tablespoons clear honey
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- To serve
- 8 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt
- sprinkling of ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped stem or uncrystallised ginger
Total fat 1g
Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 4g
- In a pan, large enough to fit tamarillos snugly, place tamarillos with enough water to cover. Scrape seeds from vanilla beans into pan and add beans. Add honey, sugar, 2 tablespoons zest, lemon juice, apple juice and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and gently poach tamarillos for 6 to 7 minutes, or until just cooked. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine yoghurt, cinnamon and half of the ginger.
- Remove tamarillos with a slotted spoon. Heat syrup to a rapid boil, reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened. Serve 2 tamarillos each with yoghurt and sauce, garnished with remaining zest and ginger.
Make it gluten free: Check cinnamon is gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use maple syrup instead of honey and use a soy yoghurt
Leftover syrup can be served over dried fruits with low-fat yoghurt.
Stem ginger is ginger root cooked in a sugar syrup. It is found in jars at specialty grocers and some supermarkets.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us