HFG fettuccine carbonara
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 100g lean bacon (eg. mid loin)
- 1 cup (250ml) light evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 350g fettuccine (or other pasta)
- 80g grated (1 cup firmly packed) parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 medium head broccoli, cut into small florets and steamed
Total fat 12.6g
Saturated fat 5.9g
Dietary fibre 4.4g
1 Cut bacon into thin strips. Cook gently in a non-stick pan until crisp then set aside.
2 Mix the evaporated milk and eggs together in a jug or bowl.
3 Cook pasta in salted boiling water until al dente (cooked but still firm when you bite it), drain and return to the saucepan. Stir through the milk and egg mixture and cook for a few minutes over a low heat, until the sauce thickens. Be careful not to over-cook it or the sauce will scramble!
4 Stir through the cooked bacon, cheese, black pepper and steamed broccoli. Serve with a green salad.
The secret to creamy pasta without the cream is to use lite evaporated milk. Apply this to any recipe which uses cream as a sauce – just take care not to heat your sauce too hot, as evaporated milk can form a skin if the heat is too fierce.