HFG chocolate self-saucing pudding
- 1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup trim milk
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
- 2 cups boiling water
1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. In a medium-sized bowl combine sifted flour, cocoa and sugar.
2 In a separate bowl (or jug) combine milk, melted spread and vanilla essence. Pour into flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix as this will result in a tough texture. Spoon into a medium-sized ovenproof dish.
3 To make sauce, combine sugar, cocoa and cornflour. Sprinkle over batter. Carefully pour boiling water over the back of a spoon onto pudding. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pudding springs back when lightly touched.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 3g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 2g
- Improve nutrient value by adding 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to the flour, cocoa and sugar mixture at the beginning of the recipe. As well as providing delicious taste and texture, walnuts are rich in essential omega-3 fatty acids, something New Zealanders do not currently get enough of.
- Serve small portions only and bulk out with fresh, stewed or canned fruit. Fresh raspberries, boysenberries or canned black doris plums are particularly delicious with this pudding.
- Serve with thick plain low-fat yoghurt or light ice cream instead of cream or traditional ice cream. This will keep kilojoules down as well as being better for your heart.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us