Hearty chicken noodle soup
(at time of publication)
- 1.2kg whole chicken
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, halved, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 salt-reduced chicken stock cubes
- 1 medium courgette, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 75g dried thin spaghetti pasta, broken
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 Rinse chicken under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Trim excess fat. Place in a large saucepan. Add leek, carrots, celery, parsnip, garlic and stock cubes. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, skimming surface occasionally, for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat. Remove chicken. Transfer to a plate.
2 Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard. Shred breast meat, reserving other meat for another purpose. Add breast meat and courgette to pan and bring back to a simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, adding spaghetti to pan for last 2 minutes of cooking time. Stir in parsley.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of stock and spaghetti.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us